Tennis General Information & Rules
From 2019, SACPSSA has introduced new sports into its carnival programme, and one of these is Tennis.
The SACPSSA ANZ Hot Shots Tennis Carnivals will be held over four days in Week 5 of Term 3, as a collaboration between our association and the School Development Team of Tennis SA.
Following the established Hot Shots version of modified tennis, the carnivals will be open to Year 3/4 students and will take place at a number of venues, including Playford Tennis Centre, Spruance Rd, Elizabeth East; Millswood Tennis Centre, Chelmsford Ave; Henley South Tennis Club, corner Lexington Rd and Burford St, Henley Beach South, and potentially other tennis club venues may be used into the future to cater for a wider spread of the metropolitan area.
Three days of the carnival programme will be for mixed gender teams. A fourth day of the carnival programme will cater for single gender competition. Mixed gender schools are welcome to play on this day, but will need to nominate in single gender competition.
Fill Out a SACPSSA ANZ Hot Shots Tennis Carnival Nomination Form
The carnivals are open to Year 3/4 mixed gender teams (three carnival days) and Year 3/4 single gender teams (one carnival day) from Catholic primary schools or colleges. There is no limit on the number of teams from each school.
The carnivals are focused on mass participation, learning and enjoyment.
- Schools may nominate Year 3/4 teams of mixed gender (three carnival days) or single gender (one carnival day). There is no limit on the number of teams from each school.
- One carnival day is dedicated to single gender competition. Mixed gender schools may still nominate for this day, but will need to nominate single gender teams.
- Co-ed schools may nominate on all four days (see above dot point) but single gender schools must nominate for the allocated single gender carnival day.
- At each carnival there will be two ‘sections’. The majority of teams will play in the “Participation Section’. Schools may, if they choose, nominate one of their teams to play in what will be known as the ‘Pathway Section’. Schools are under no obligation to nominate a team in the Pathway Section.
- The Participation Section teams will play games across the day but no scores will be collated by the carnival organisers in the same way that occurs at other SACPSSA participation carnivals such as Netball, Lacrosse and Touch.
- A Pathway Section team (see above) will be nominated as a team comprised of higher ability, or more experienced, players who will be involved in a separate competition at the carnival resulting in a winning team at the end of the day.
- The winning Pathways Section team from each of the four carnival days will be invited to participate in the Tennis SA Metro State Day at the end of the year.
- If a school chooses to nominate a Pathways Section team, it must follow the mixed gender team rules on Days 1 – 3, or the single gender rules on Day 4. (See section below for rules.)
- Year 3/4
- Mixed gender teams to consist of 4 boys and 4 girls per team. Substitutes are allowed but not required.
- On the day that is set aside for single gender schools. Teams to consist of 8 boys or 8 girls. Substitutes are allowed but not required.
- There is no limit on the number of teams that each school can nominate.
Playford Tennis Centre, Spruance Rd, Elizabeth East
Millswood Tennis Centre, Chelmsford Ave, Millswood
Henley Beach South Tennis Club, corner Lexington Rd and Burford St, Henley Beach South
Other venues – to be confirmed.
- Racquets will be supplied by Tennis SA, although students are welcome to bring their own modified racquet if they have one. Schools are welcome to bring along their school set of modified racquets. Students may not participate with a standard competition racquet that is not modified for Hot Shots competition.
- Low compression red tennis balls (supplied).
- Tennis SA will supply equipment to create modified Hot Shots courts (supplied).
Hot Shots Format of Matches
Please refer to the following PDF for a full description.